To kick of fashion month, DuJour caught up with five New York Fashion Week insiders—a makeup artist, a duo of designers and more—who dished on what they’re eating, where they’re going, of course, how they’re navigating the snow. Their answers, below.
James Boehmer, NARS’ Director of Global Artistry (Creatures of the Wind, Naeem Khan)
1. What’s your most memorable Fashion Week moment? I would have to say working with Francois Nars at the Marc Jacobs AW09 show. Francois returned to the runway that season in the biggest way possible—he created 65 individual makeup looks for the show! The collection was all about New York nightlife in the ’80s, and the hair and makeup was over the top. The girls looked incredible and literally became the characters that Francois created. The energy backstage was palpable—you knew you were a part of something that everyone would be talking about for a long time.
2. What are your top three essentials for the week? I can’t survive Fashion Week without unsweetened black iced tea. It’s my go-to for caffeine—too much coffee and I am useless when it comes to applying eyeliner! Before the week starts, I always get a haircut and a shave so I don’t have to put much effort into my own look (I love Barbershop at 8 Rivington). Backstage essentials always include NARS hand wipes, Eclipse Polar Ice gum and Rosebud Salve.
3. What’s your strategy for navigating the shows in the snow? I am so thankful for my amazing team—they make sure we have everything we need for the shows. I am especially grateful because this cuts down on the gear that I have to carry, so I can take the subway to and from the shows.
4. Designers you’re most looking forward to seeing? Fashion Week is like a giant family reunion. Not only am I looking forward to seeing the designers I work with, but it’s a chance to catch up with everyone else backstage or at parties. I adore Creatures of the Wind’s Shane Gabier and Chris Peters, and I am obsessed with their collection this season. Though I’m not able to attend as many shows as I would like to, I’m excited to see what Marc Jacobs will reveal, and I always love what Kate and Laura Mulleavy do with Rodarte.
5. By Day 8 of NYFW, I’ll probably be… Under the covers with my dog, Rosie, hopefully sleeping in past 10 a.m.
Scott Studenberg and John Targon, the design duo behind hot new label Baja East (check out their windows at Barneys New York!) will present their fall collection at the Standard on February 8.
1. What’s your most memorable Fashion Week moment? Having a NYFW window with our launch collection at Barneys New York!
2. What are your top three essentials for the week? Daily shots of oregano oil (keeps any bugs from kicking in!), Living Proof’s Amp hair texturizer to keep our hair in check, workouts to de-stress. John’s currently obsessed with Soul Cycle and kickboxing and Scott hits yoga and the pool at Equinox.
3. What’s your strategy for navigating the shows in the snow? Our cashmere “ikat graffiti” beanies keep us warm and our Nike Air Max 90 Sneakerboots go with everything, are SO COMFORTABLE to get around in AND they were in almost every look of our presentation!
4. Trends you’re most looking forward to seeing? Slouchy pony moto jackets and cultured pearls on guys and girls.
5. By Day 8 of NYFW, we’ll probably be… Finalizing our spring/summer 2015 inspirations and looking at color palettes and fabrics.
Olivia Chantecaille, cosmetics entrepreneur and new mother
1. What’s your most memorable Fashion Week moment? One of my most memorable was when I was modeling and walked in the Armani show in Milan.
2. What are your top three essentials this week? A great blow out with Lindsay at Frederic Fekkai in Soho, Chantecaille Gold Energizing Eye Recovery Mask to survive the long day and coconut water to keep me hydrated.
3. What’s your strategy for navigating the shows in the snow? Jimmy Choo’s fur lined motorcycle boots
4. Designers you’re most looking forward to seeing? Derek Lam, Jason Wu and Proenza Schouler
5. By Day 8 of NYFW, I’ll probably be… Cuddling at home with my newborn baby girl!
Sarah Easley and Beth Buccini, owners of NYC mainstay Kirna Zabete
1. What’s your most memorable Fashion Week moment? Beth and I worked a 14-hour day in Paris (not unusual Fashion Week). At our last evening appointment (at Balenciaga), they graciously offered us a glass of champagne. We asked if we could take it to go (so American!). We did and took it right up on the Ferris Wheel by Place de la Concorde. We will always remember drinking champagne in circles over the lights of Paris.
2. What are your top three essentials this week? Kind of trendy, we know, but we made our own “health bars” on youbars.com. Of course there’s a KIRNA bar (kinda sweet and junky with rice crispies, peanuts and chocolate chips) and a ZABETE bar (with flax and chicory roots and things I did not know you could eat.) Both are good and in our bags this week! Fashion must haves are Balenciaga’s new Le Dix Cartable bag, bright lace sweaters from Valentino, Roland Mouret slim pants (work with heels, flats or even boots), loose silk “basketball shorts” from Alexander Wang or Thakoon and Christian Dior “Cherie” classic pumps
3. What’s your strategy for navigating the shows in the snow?
A. Yves Salomon coats and Dior fur-lined boots
C. Divide and conquer
4. Designers you’re most looking forward to seeing? Proenza Schouler, Jason Wu, Alexander Wang and Joseph Altuzarra
5. By Day 8 of NYFW, I’ll probably be... Really glad we have six people on the Kirna Zabete Buying Team now.
Sally Hershberger, who will be styling the hair at shows like Naeem Khan, is no stranger to show-hopping.
1. What’s your most memorable Fashion Week moment? I will never forget the time I was in Paris for Fashion Week and bumped into Andre Leon Talley who on a whim, invited me to the Chanel show. It was major.
2. What are your top three Fashion Week essentials this week? I can’t live without coconut water, Jols sugar free fruit pastilles and Blistex.
3. What’s your strategy for navigating the shows in the snow? Uber door to door is a must, especially since its so hard to get a cab.
4. Designers you’re most looking forward to seeing? I’ve been friends with Donna Karan and Calvin Klein forever, and I always go to their shows. I’m also excited to see Zac Posen.
5. By Day 8 of NYFW, I’ll probably be… Boarding a plane to Aspen to ski.